Monday, April 14, 2014

Monday Morning Juice: "Pieces by Sherrell"






We sat down with Sherrell Knight, owner of Inglewood- based boutique, Pieces by Sherrell.

J&J:  How did you get started in fashion design?

PBS:  I've been interested in fashion since I was a little girl.  I would read fashion magazines and say to myself, "I could make that".  My grandmother knew how to sew and I would sew different things with her.  When I was 11 or 12, my mother bought me my first sewing machine.  And when I was 13, my mom turned our garage into a sewing room.  I would wear my own designs to school and people would ask me to make clothes for them, so I started selling my designs at school.  When I got older, I began making jewelry and denim handbags.   I met a girl while I was in business school who was also into fashion design and we began working together.  We opened a boutique in Hawthorne, CA and our specialty was denim handbags. 

J&J:  What is your favorite thing to make?

PBS:  I don't really have a favorite thing.  I actually don't like to sew.  I like the magic that happens when women put on my pieces.  I love when they look at themselves in the mirror and smile.

J&J:  Where do you find inspiration to create such unique pieces?

PBS:  I'm inspired by my customers.  I like to customize  the  pieces so that they flatter them in the best way possible. 

J&J:  How would you describe your style aesthetic?

PBS:  Timeless.  I want to create timeless pieces that have no date to them.  I never want my designs to look dated.

J&J:  Are you are a "more is more" or a "less is more" designer?

PBS:  Less is more.  I believe in pairing a statement piece with a basic piece so that the statement piece speaks for itself and tells a story.

J&J:  If you could design for and dress any celebrity, who would it be.

PBS:  I wouldn't want to dress a celebrity.  I want to dress the everyday woman and make her feel good, make her feel like a celebrity.  I want to make clothes that brings tears to my customers' eyes when they put them on.  If they look good, then I feel good.  It's a magical feeling.


J&J:  How would you encourage a woman who wants to experiment and be bold in her styling but is self conscious about her body image?

PBS:  I would encourage her to focus on what part of her body she likes the most and accentuate that part.  Find pieces that compliment her shape.  I get women of all ages and shapes in my boutique and I often customize pieces so that they compliment them in the best way possible.

J&J:  Where do you see Pieces by Sherrell in 5 years?

PBS:  Within the next 5 years, I want to have 3 store locations.  I want to start a rental program, where I rent out certain pieces to the customers.  These pieces would not be available for sale.  I also want to expand the business to include a younger audience.  I would like to transform the store so that it has a comfortable lounge atmosphere and invite up and coming artists to showcase and sell their work.  But my overall goal is to keep Pieces by Sherrell happy and fun.
Pieces by Sherrell is located at 318 E. Hillcrest, Inglewood, Ca 90301

1 comment:

  1. I always get compliments when wearing her designs. Thanks Sherrell for making the everyday women look extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete